Skip to main content

You are here:

  1. Home
  2. Existing Customers
  3. Sustainability hub
  4. Step-by-step guide to managing EPC changes

Step-by-step guide to managing EPC changes

Landlords with privately rented properties may need to take action to improve the energy efficiency of their properties.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Find out the EPC rating of your property

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating tells you how energy efficient your property is.

The EPC rating varies from A-G, with the A being the best.

You can check the EPC rating of a property in England, Wales and Northern Ireland on the government website and in Scotland on the Scottish register.

2. Check if your property is exempt

Some properties don't need to comply with current minimum energy-efficiency standards.

Find out if your property is exempt and, if so, register an exemption if you haven't already done so.

Remember that the rules on exemptions could change if the new proposals come into force.

3. Pay for an EPC assessment if you don't have an up-to-date certificate

An EPC assessment will cost you around £40-70 and lasts for 10 years.

However, if you've done work to your property since your last assessment, consider getting a new one to see if you've improved its EPC rating:

If you have tenants in the property, work with them to arrange a suitable time for someone to assess the property, and ensure you give at least 24 hours' notice before any property visits.

4. Improve your property's EPC rating

Your EPC provides lots of useful information, including the rating of your property and its potential rating if you make suggested changes.

This could include adding or improving insulation, fitting double-glazed windows, upgrading lightbulbs or getting a more efficient boiler.

Upgrading your property to meet EPC standards could be costly, but there are also benefits to landlords.

It could add value to your property, increase your rental income and make it more attractive to tenants.

Find out more about improving your property's energy efficiency on the Energy Saving Trust website.

5. Find tradespeople to carry out property improvements

Before you start any work, you need to:

  • Check if you need approvals such as planning permission or building regulations approval (for Scotland, check if you need a building warrant).
  • If you have tenants in the property, ensure you give them enough notice of any works and minimise disruption to them
  • Shop around for tradespeople and get a few quotes. Trustmark is the government-endorsed scheme for tradespeople in the UK.
  • Keep your quotes, contracts (and records of receipts once the work is done). They could count towards the cost cap if you need to register an exemption.

6. How to pay for property improvements

You might already have the funds to cover improvements, plus there may be grants available from government, energy companies and other sources.

The following links may be useful, but remember schemes could change or expire:

7. Borrowing to fund property improvements

Many landlords will need to borrow to fund energy-efficient home improvements, using a further advance or remortgage, for example.

Lenders are currently designing green mortgage products to support landlords who want to raise funds to boost the energy efficiency of their property.

Speak to your mortgage broker to discuss borrowing to fund improvements to boost your property's EPC rating.

8. Check your new EPC rating

Once you've made improvements to your rental property remember to get a new EPC assessment to reflect the changes you've made.

Speak to your broker to discuss raising funds to pay for property improvements.

All information is correct as of December 2023 and is written for landlords in the private rented sector and not directed at residential homeowners.

Please check government websites and other trusted sources for any updates.

BM Solutions is not responsible for the improvements carried out by your chosen supplier. BM Solutions releasing the funds to you does not guarantee the quality of the work done by the supplier and it is up to you to ensure that you are satisfied with the improvements carried out. BM Solutions cannot make any guarantee about the costs of the work required or any savings that can be made and you are responsible for making your own decision.

Birmingham Midshires is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.

For telephone line opening times, please read the information in our contact section. Calls may be monitored and recorded for security and training purposes.

Our tracker rate mortgages are linked to Bank of England Bank Rate (also known as Bank of England repo rate). Details of this rate can be found on the Bank of England website or in the Financial Times or other leading newspapers.

Security and privacy policy

© Birmingham Midshires

This site is intended for UK residents unless otherwise stated. Mortgage Loans will be made by Birmingham Midshires.
Birmingham Midshires is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh, EH1 1YZ.
To contact the FCA Consumer helpline, please ring 0800 111 6768 or visit MoneyHelper.